Cumbria has many great sports clubs and Keswick Golf Club is no exception. Located 4 miles East of Keswick on Derwentwater in the heart of the Lake District, the golf course is easily approached from the A66 at Threlkeld - the main route from Penrith to the West Coast. The golf club is renowned for its outstanding Lakeland views and superb facilities. Sitting on Threlkeld Common the course has scenic panoramic views of Blencathra - one of England's highest mountains - Skiddaw, Clough Head and other North Lakeland fells.
The Elizabethan Range and fortified Pele Tower of Isel Hall dominates the landscape in its magical setting above the River Derwent. From the formal gardens the ground drops down to the river and offers views of the 11th Century Church and Skiddaw. Continuously inhabited since Norman times it passed from its original occupiers, the Engane family, their heirs and successors by family connections to the present owner. In Elizabethan times they were the Leighs and from 1573-1986 the Lawson family inherited. The last male heir of that family, Sir Wilfred Lawson, died in 1936 when it passed to his nephew, Hilton, and then to Hilton's cousin Mrs Margaret Austen Leigh, who died in 1986 and left it to the present owner.